Compatible Cameras: Sony F5/ F55/ F3, Arri Alexa, Arri Amira (PL), Red Dragon (PL) with Adaptor: Sony FS7, Panasonic GH4
The Arri Alura 18-80mm is a really solid professional film style lens. Originally built to complement the Alexa it’s very nicely put together and also (unusually!) the focus scale is very accurate. The lens is clean and sharp and is marked up in T stops, has a 2.6 aperture throughout its zoom range, and has minimal breathing.
The Arri Alura 18-80mm is a heavy professional film lens and therefore needs support. We supply it with supports for 15mm or 19mm bars. Although people have been known to handhold cameras with this lens, you need to be pretty fit!
If you want a high quality PL mount zoom lens, the Arri Alura 18-80mm will give you precise and crisp pictures. The lens represents good value for money for a lens of this quality and it will cover most situations.
(1) Positive locking 54 mm stainless steel lens mount
(2) Close focus is measured from the film/sensor plane
(3) Magnification ratio is the relationship of the size of an object on the film/sensor plane (first number) to the size of that object in real life (second number) at the close focus and the telephoto zoom setting
(4) Length is measured from the lens mount to the front of the lens housing
(5) Diameter of the lens/matte box interface
(6) The distance from the entrance pupil to the film/sensor plane. Positive numbers indicated an entrance pupil in front, negative numbers indicated an entrance pupil behind the film/sensor plane. The entrance pupil (often mistakenly called “nodal point”) is the center of perspective; moving the camera/lens system around the center of the entrance pupil prevents parallax errors. While largerly irrelevant for live action, this measurement is important for special effects work.
(7) The image diameter (ID) is the diameter of the image circle needed for the respective format.
(8) Horizontal (H), vertical (V) and diagonal (D) angles of view for a Normal 35 Academy camera aperture (aspect ratio 1.37:1, dimensions 22 mm x 16 mm / 0.866″ x 0.630″)
(9) Horizontal (H), vertical (V) and diagonal (D) angles of view for the ALEXA/D-21 HD camera aperture (aspect ratio 1.78:1, 2880 x 1620 sensor pixels, dimensions 23.76 mm x 13.37mm / 0.935″ x 0.526″)
(10) Horizontal (H), vertical (V) and diagonal (D) angles of view for the ALEXA 2K camera aperture (aspect ratio 1.78:1, 3072 x 1728 sensor pixels, dimensions 25.34 mm x 14.26 mm / 0.998″ x 0.561″)
(11) Horizontal (H), vertical (V) and diagonal (D) angles of view for a DIN Super 35 Silent camera aperture (aspect ratio 1.33:1, dimensions 24 mm x 18 mm / 0.944″ x 0.709″)≈
‘We Are Fire’
Sony F5, Arri Alura 18-80mm lens, Black Magic Pocket on ACR Plus gimbal, Canon 8-64mm s16mm lens (used for certain scenes)
dop: Franklin Dow
Vimeo Staff Pick
We Are All – ‘Keep Me Alive’
Sony F5 Cine package, Floatcam HD with Motion Control unit
dop: Franklin Dow